2019 Summer Internship: STEM/Coding Instructor (Singapore)
About First Code
First Code Academy is empowering Asia’s next generation to become creators of technology through teaching kids from age 6 to 18 about programming, design and entrepreneurship. Since 2013, we have taught 4,000+ students in various Asian cities and we continue to expand our global presence. We believe that it takes a team to build something big; if you have a love for technology and want to make a meaningful impact in next generation’s education, join us now!
About the Role
We are looking for students who are passionate about software engineering, have experience in tutoring pre-teens or teens (other subjects are okay too), and have an entrepreneurial & startup mindset. We have openings in Hong Kong, Singapore, and Shanghai.
Why teach with us?
This unique opportunity allows you to:
- Learn: Apply and deepen software development and computer science knowledge to solve problems in community
- Teach: Shape young minds and inspire teenagers to solve problems using technology
- Build: Be part of a fast-growing organization and lead an expanding instructional team
"Coding + Children = My passion. First Code Academy has impacted me in such a positive manner that just two months of my time here has helped me discover this. As an instructor, I get to play with robots and learn new technology everyday and then try to pass over the skill sets to the kids. Watching them use their boundless imagination put to the test creating new apps and websites stuns me every single time and has made me realise how much potential lies within each and every child to use coding to change the world. It has been a great experience for me working (having fun) at FCA, interacting with the kids on a daily basis and learning from them as well. The environment set up for them at FCA is absolutely brilliant - they are given full authority to build whatever they want and use failure as a stepping stone to success which lines with our motto - "Done is better than perfect.""
- Kowshik, Instructor, 2016
2015 & 2016 Summer Computer Programming Internship Statistics
314 students applied
95 were interviewed
Classroom quality is our top priority. All Summer interns have to go through a comprehensive training program designed collaboratively by First Code lead instructors and professional educators. Through our program, each Summer facilitator picks up design philosophy of our programs, teaching strategies, classroom management strategies, and last but not least, technical concepts.
The entire program includes group discussion, self-study, lecture, activity, mock teaching, and shadowing in actual classrooms. The sessions will be hosted at the beginning of the internship program, and each Summer facilitator is expected to complete all the sessions.
- You are eager to shape the skills and minds of our next generation.
- You love to learn and expand knowledge in engineering and computer science.
- You are open minded and question the status quo.
- You have strong interest in mobile application development (not necessary to know iOS or Android development, as long as you are fluent in one or more programming language)
- You have previous engineering teaching experience, through a course, team training, etc.
- Organize summer and semester programs for students in top local and international schools.
- Work closely with co-instructors to provide students with meaningful and prompt feedback on their progress.
- Work with FCA staff and teaching team to best meet the needs and learning styles of students.
- Guide students through development of a final project that will be presented and distributed to fellow classmates.
- Facilitate a dynamic and collaborative classroom community.
- Inspire students to persevere through the challenges of turning their ideas into actual mobile application.
- Join us in revolutionizing the concept of education in Asia
- Shape the direction of First Code Academy and be part of it from day 1
- Be a part of a compassionate team that treats you like family and emphasizes open communication
- Be part of the fun - our Summer 2016 video :) https://youtu.be/6PJUnLfQffg
- Participate in our CSR initiatives such as the Google CS First program, where we link up with local community and teach underprivileged or ethnic minority kids coding.
- Join our monthly TGIFCS (Thank God It’s First Code Saturday) and mingle with our friends in the coding education community.
- Get involved in large scale events such as AppJamming Summit (http://appjammingsummit.org/), a regional app competition for kids from age 8 to 16 to showcase their app creation. We host Semi-Finals in Hong Kong and Singapore and a Final in Hong Kong with students joining us from all over Asia.
- Take part in our Ninjas Coding Series where we get together and talk about coding and work on exercises to brush up our coding skills.
- Resume and Cover Letter
- 1st Interview - Background, Culture, Technical
- Writing Assignment
- 2nd Interview - Scenario, Challenge, Value
- Interview Result
Desired Target Audience: Undergraduates in Year 1-3
Required Documents: Resume and Cover Letter
Duration: June - August 2019, longer duration is offered as well
Application Deadline: Rolling Basis, talk to us.