Coding & STEM Instructor (Hong Kong)
About First Code
First Code Academy is empowering Asia’s next generation to become creators of technology through teaching kids from ages 4 to 18 programming. We believe that learning coding is a means to an end, and encourage our students to also develop their creativity, entrepreneurship skills and a mindset to experiment.
As one of the first coding education providers in Asia, we have rapidly grown to 7 cities teaching over 10,000 students since 2013, and are continuing to expand our global presence. We believe that it takes a team to build something big; if you have a love for technology and want to make a meaningful impact in next generation’s education, join us now!
About the Role
At First Code, we take pride in providing top-notch education technology courses. Our instructors mentor students and guide them from zero programming background to proficiency. Inspire students to not only create with technology, but also to embrace learning, experiment with creating and find their passion.
This role requires a high degree of autonomy, entrepreneurial drive and passion toward technology. It is not a regular teaching role, nor a programming role. You take your passion in building and making things, and spread it to the next generation. You have a natural knack in engaging an audience, patience to work with active inquiring minds, and the ability to break down complex problems into smaller digestible pieces. This role provides first-hand experience in shaping the minds of our next generation.
"Coding + Children = My passion. First Code Academy has impacted me in such a positive manner that just two months of my time here has helped me discover this. As an instructor, I get to play with robots and learn new technology everyday and then try to pass over the skill sets to the kids. Watching them use their boundless imagination put to the test creating new apps and websites stuns me every single time and has made me realise how much potential lies within each and every child to use coding to change the world. It has been a great experience for me working (having fun) at FCA, interacting with the kids on a daily basis and learning from them as well. The environment set up for them at FCA is absolutely brilliant - they are given full authority to build whatever they want and use failure as a stepping stone to success which lines with our motto - "Done is better than perfect."
- Kowshik, Instructor
- Passion for Technology: You have a desire to learn about computer science. You frequently read up on news in the field, and light up when talking about new technology. Bonus: You either studied, or have worked (or both) in Computer Science / Engineering / Science / Mathematics field
- Maker's Mindset: You like to build things. Whether it is a weekend side project or an open source project, you are always tinkering and actively exploring new ideas
- Communications Skills: Instructors are responsible for communicating often complex and abstract programming concepts to young students. You are fluent in English and are good at communicating your ideas verbally, through analogies and repetition if necessary. At the same time you are able to adjust your presentation depending on the audience
- Experience in, or an Interest in Teaching Kids: You are inspired by kids and love spending time with them. You are patient to get your ideas through to students, and motivated to see them succeed.
- Immerse yourself in technology every day, from AI to 3D printers
- Impact the next generation by researching and developing fun and innovative new courses using the latest tools and languages
- Join us in revolutionizing the concept of technology education in Asia
- Be a key contributor to shaping the direction of First Code Academy as part of a tight-knit team
- Build our culture as part of a compassionate and ambitious team that emphasizes open communication and thrives on hitting important milestones
- Be part of the fun - our Summer video :) https://youtu.be/UlO96qXQDWs
- Join our monthly TGIFCS (Thank God It’s First Code Saturday) and mingle with our friends in the coding education community. Get involved in large scale events such as AppJamming Summit (http://appjammingsummit.org/), a global app competition for kids aged 8 to 16 to showcase their app development project. Semi-Finals are hosted around Asia with the Finals hosted in Hong Kong.